Different from at home, people may face less control when they are at work place. At work place, specific allergens and irritants cannot be avoided and they may be harmful. Those will be caused the asthma symptoms such as wheezing, coughing and breathing shortness. Below you'll find four steps to avoid asthma at workplace.
Step 1: Minimize contact to allergens or irritants which lead asthma symptoms.
One best way to avoid asthma is to decrease the air pollution whether it's indoor or outdoor at workplace. You have to be able to identify the sources, remove them and make sure the windows and ventilation work well and the air can keep flowing. Those are the best steps to solve air problems at indoor building. If you can identify what can cause your asthma well then it'll be easier for you to work. People may think that workplace is not clean place and can worsen asthma. However, outdoor and indoor’s allergens and irritant have the same amount as essential as you consider them. The building can be the risk to asthma if it doesn’t maintain right.
· Know your asthma causes at work. You’d better to learn how to decrease your contact to allergens and irritants which can worsen your asthma. Avoid them as you can. At work, the asthma triggers usually are airborne dusts, secondhand smoke, mold, gases, cleaning chemical, pests such as cockroaches, mites and mice, and also stress. For outdoor workers, they can also have risks on asthma triggers. Commonly the triggers are from the air pollution specifically if the job is on the street or next to roadways. The triggers come from outdoor air which consists of particle pollution, ozone, sulfur dioxides, nitrogen oxides, diesel and vehicle exhaust.
· Remove resources of damaging air
· Use cleaning products as safe as possible. Using traditional products for cleaning are better. But if you have to use more potent product for cleaning to work, you can use the alternatives which are friendlier to the environment. Your job may need disinfectant to get rid of microorganism. You can browse for cleaning product which can work well, cost-affordable and safer to your surroundings. But the problem is that safe for environment doesn’t mean safer for you. Check the chemicals used and whether they have certifications of Eco Logo and Green Seal or not.
· Replace to more secure materials and machines. For some workplaces, they can change the dangerous products with the safer one. You can discuss with your employer if there is availability. The same way is for the machines. You can use machines which produce less dusts, mists and air pollutants. Switching the chemicals and tools will develop the quality of the air in the workplace.
· Wear respiratory protective tool to prevent contact to the danger at workplace. When your job need you should be in dangerous air, you have to wear respiratory protective gear. Make sure to tag along the right procedure. You have to keep your lung healthy.
· Keep away from tobacco smoke. The asthma symptoms can happen because of the secondhand smoke. Support your boss to have workplace which is free from tobacco smoke. If you are smoker and you have asthma, the right way for your health is to quit as soon as possible.
Step 2: Ask assistance from your healthcare team for your asthma symptoms.
Just right you are experiencing asthma symptoms, then see your health care. Actually asthma is the disease which can be decreased by two things. They are avoiding the asthma causes and getting asthma medicines from the doctor. It's essential to have the concerns of the symptoms and list all the questions about your asthma at work then consult with your health care. Below are some ideas to help in telling your doctor. You can write a diary or log of your symptoms you experienced at work and show it to your doctor. Then, you have to explain to your doctor about the latest symptoms and also place you work.
Step 3: Tell respiratory symptoms as soon as possible as something going wrong in ventilation and other equipment to your employer. The co-workers can be in danger too.
If you think your workplace is having unhealthy air and does these 3 steps.
1. Tell your employer and also building management about the problem. Make sure to follow the procedure to watch them and you should do documentation of your steps.
2. Consult your health care about the symptoms. Then you can report your symptoms to company’s health. Nearby health department should be informed as well. You can ask your company whether you or your company who will inform them.
3. Help the management in investigating the problem. It may spend much time. Your boss is the one who responsible legally to inform you about the hazards linked with your job. The employer has responsibility to provide the safe and health workplace.
Step 4: Look after your asthma. Visit your healthcare provider frequently, consumes medications as prescribed, and prevents environmental contacts which make your asthma worse.
Both young and old can have asthma. As people may know, asthma is the lung diseases which make people have difficulty in breathing. You cannot find exact treat for asthma. However, with good management and treatment, you are able to live as health and normal as other people. There are many things to assist.
· Learn all about asthma. It's better to know more so that you can live with asthma well.
· You can join in asthma basics. It's an online learning for adults which last about 50 minutes. You can learn asthma in more detailed. The participants can understand about how to recognize asthma triggers, value of asthma action plan and how to respond breathing emergency.
· There are six steps to make your asthma will be under control. If you understand it well then you can manage your asthma well.
The employers surely are responsible to provide the health and safe condition especially healthy air at work place. There are laws which are about to protect the workers. However, the air quality problem is still happened. Make sure to report as soon as possible if you find the air pollution in your workplace.